Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's the Butter!

This weekend I decorated a cake (the first in over 3 years) for an informal wedding celebration. Or as we called it, a knot-tying celebration.

Back when I took the Wilton cake decorating classes, I remember the basic icing tasting not so great even though my co-workers (mostly men) never complained and ate every last piece of cake (and usually before 11 am!) But this time, I wanted to make a really good sticky-sweet delicious icing. And let me tell you, it's all about the butter!

Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
1 c. butter (softened)
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. almond extract
4 c. powdered sugar
2 t. meringue powder
3 T. milk

Mix together butter, vanilla, and almond extract with power mixer (love my Kitchenaid!) Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time with meringue powder. Last add milk - use less or more milk to get the desired consistency.

And a picture of my recent french vanilla cake with buttercream frosting:

Pin It

1 comment: